15 Feb What is an arranged rum?
Arranged rum is macerated for 1 to 6 months or more depending on the spices such as vanilla.
An arranged rum is a drink made from:
- Rum: agricultural or industrial (traditional), white (most of the time) or old
- Exotic fruits whole or cut into pieces, mixed, macerated and filtered
- Spices: vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg…..
- Cane sugar syrup to sweeten the drink
It can be enjoyed as an aperitif or digestive, frozen or not, can also be used in the preparation of desserts and gourmet dishes. An emblematic drink of Reunion Island, it originates from macerated punches widely used in Guadeloupe and betsa betsa, a fermented drink from Madagascar for its mixtures of spices, bark, leaves.
Practical advice :
Even if some do not agree, I refer them to the history lessons of these islands and their inhabitants who brought their culture, their gastronomy. Moreover, it is difficult to define a border between these types of drinks because of different sayings, complex and multiple origins following trade, population displacement, and slavery.
According to some websites, there are 4 categories of arranged rum according to their maceration time:
- fruit rums
- citrus rums
- spiced rums (including bark, leaves, condiments)
- candy rums